So here’s the deal: Mr. Myke C-Town and I had a discussion one day after a shoot about how I never give him credit for putting me on to any hip hop artists. And you know what, he’s right. To show my appreciation, I decided to craft a list of the “Top 5 Emcees that Myke C-Town Put Me On To” and here goes:
- Macklemore – In typical Kinge/C-Town fashion, C-Town mentioned him to me in a conversation once. In typical Kinge/C-Town fashion, I wasn’t listening enough intently to REMEMBER him telling me about him so when I finally made it to him as I was shuffling through downloads that I haven’t listened to yet, enter Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s VS EP. In typical Kinge/C-Town fashion, I had a conversation with him about it and he was more than happy to remind me that he mentioned Macklemore to me months ago but since I don’t listen, I didn’t remember. In typical Kinge/C-Town fashion my only response was – “Oh.”
- Odd Future – Before we did the show on Odd Future, C-Town brought these guys up via email. He was telling us about them and how they were making noise. Months go by and guess who decides it’s time to do a show? Thus, I am forced to listen to every single freaking mixtape they had on their website so I could get familiar. Thanks to him though, it was one of our most entertaining reviews ever with Tyler the Creators “Goblin” review (click Goblin to watch the review).
- Dillon – No amazing story here. I just remember him jumping on Beezy for not hearing about this guy before when we were prepping for the Danny Brown review. My only recollection of Dillon was C-Town referencing him from a show he went to a while back. Did I go listen to his music? Of course not. However, when “Dillon Ain’t Playing” dropped, I listened to it off the strength of C-Town’s recommendation and his performance at the Danny Brown show. He’s dope; screw C-Town. Check out the LP here and cop it here.
- Shad – This one is rather unique. This artist came to me by way of C-Town prior to us even doing the show. I don’t really recall how the story went but I do remember him praising dude and after that, I started to see him posted on blogs. One thing about C-Town is that he really goes out of his way to find the artists that no one is really talking about. It’s not an intentional; he just really looks for someone that’s dope regardless of buzz or hype. That I can appreciate from him. You can check out Shad here.
- Invincible – This one is more of a shame on Beezy than praise for C-Town. C-Town still gets the props for this but Invincible is from the D and Beezy should have been telling all of us about her. Nevertheless, C-Town receives credit for this recommendation and she is definitely dope. Check her music out on MySpace and cop Shapeshifters if you like what you hear.
I could only think of 5 emcees that he put me on to. That and you all know I don’t listen to Myke half the time so I am sure I have forgotten about someone. If by the grace of glory that are the hip hop gods, something shuffles on my iPod that he just so happened to put me on to, you know, I’ll shout it out to him on Twitter.