If you’re reading this, you’ve made it through 165 days of the 2018 calendar year. From double-disc releases to scathing rap beefs, midnight releases, and a five-album saga, 2018 has been an incredible year of rapper’s bringing their A-Game. To that end, some of the staff writers and myself have compiled our favorite top ten albums of 2018. The following lists reflect each writer’s personal taste. We invite you to weigh in accordingly. [Read more…] about Editorial Pick: Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums of 2018 (So Far)
In this first week of Dead End Hip-Hop: In Case You Missed It, we’ll be going over all things hip-hop and DEHH related to catch you up on everything you need to know to be caught up for the new week.
(For this post it’ll be some of the bigger releases and announcements for February before we start getting into March in later installments)
- On (2/9/18) Friday, we saw the release of 2 Chainz EP “The Play Don’t Care Who Makes It” and the Black Panther Soundtrack curated by TDE.
- On an archived episode of “Abstract Radio” via Beats 1, Q-Tip let free an unreleased tune featuring Kendrick Lamar. “Want U 2 Want” appears at the [1:42:00] mark of the episode.
- The ever elusive Frank Ocean blessed the lonely hearts with his version of Moon River, the song originating from Henry Mancini with lyrics by Johnny Mercer. It’s slow, sweet, and it’s more Frank Ocean in the world so take it and run with it because you never know if it’ll be another three months or years with him.
- Nipsey Hussle’s newest album “Victory Lap” is now out everywhere! 16 tracks of solid West Coast Rap with a stacked list of solid features, give this new album a spin as we head into the weekend.
- SOB x RBE delivered a smashing, hard-hitting rap album that keeps the light on the group that was featured on one of the tracks on the Black Panther Album and continues to prove that West Coast Rap has a lot of content worthy of our ears.
- It’s been quite a long time for a new share of Mick Jenkins music for fans of the Chicago Rapper. Other than his album, “The Healing Component” that released in 2016, Jenkins has tided over fans with a project in the line of a mixtape series “Or More; The Anxious” that released late last year. On 2/24/18 “Or More; The Frustration” is the next in line for the series and standing at nine tracks should tide everyone over for whatever Jenkins comes up with next.
From our DEHH Masterminds, the following links are where you can Watch DEHH and keep up with the guys behind your favorite hip-hop discussion videos and more under the Dead End branding:
- DEHH Sports podcast: http://deadendhiphop.com/series/dead-end-sports/
- “Is the Mic Still On?”: http://deadendhiphop.com/series/is-the-mic-still-on/
- Chris Platte Presents Strictly Hip Hop Strictly Hoop Talk: http://deadendhiphop.com/series/chris-platte-presents-strictly-hip-hop-strictly-hoop-talk/
OverDoz. comes hard into the game with the release of their new mixtape, “Boom”. This records holds out with 17 tracks, with features and production from Juicy J, Iman Omari, Nipsey Hussle, THC, The Futurisktiks, and more. Check out the project streaming/downloading here. It’s safe to say that The Dest is back.
Crenshaw is the mixtape that caused a ruckus because of Nipsey Hussle’s asking price of $100 dollars for his mixtape. You can listen to it below and download it or if you want, you can go pay for it. It’s $100 bucks.
Listen/Download: Nipsey Hussle-Crenshaw